Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Promoted to Caretaker!!!


I got a promotion today. Yesterday I was merely an annoying acquaintance, today I get to be a caretaker. Maelin let me help with her shoes, wash her hands, open her Play-Doh, and put on her jacket. I also get to play Play-Doh with her. (I make better things than mommy) She still won't let me hold her or hold her hand, but I will take whatever I can get. It was a huge day for our relationship. She loves her momma. She would not share her pretzels with me or our guide, but she would share with momma.(low protein pretzels we brought with us) She loves to eat! She loves rice, broccoli, congee, and fresh mandrine oranges. She is also a neat freak. I don't know how that will fit in with our family, but we need all the help we can get. She doesn't like to be dirty. She constantly wants to clean her hands and face. She picks up after herself. When she gets tired of playing with the Play-Doh, she puts it back in the containers. I have to put on the lids for her, which makes me feel like a million bucks, and then she puts the Play-Doh up.

We slept later than usual this morning. After we got ready, we went downstairs to the breakfast buffet. There was not a place to sit, and they were out of congee for Maelin. Plan B: We walked across the street to McDonalds. We had packed some low protein cereal for Maelin to eat as a snack later in the day, so she ate that and some of the hash browns. Mommy and Daddy enjoyed a good western breakfast. Then we splurged and went next door to Starbucks. At 9:30 our guide met us in our hotel lobby to take us to West Lake. It is the largest fresh water lake in China. It is a beautiful place. We got to see koi, pigeons, a peacock, and beautiful flowers. I took a million pictures-some of which I posted below. It was so relaxing. The rest of the day was free time which we spent in the hotel room for bonding. Tonight we went to a seafood and duck restaurant. Kala wanted to get out and try something new. Well she did. She had the duck. The plate came out with some duck meat and the duck head on it. She ate the meat. Maelin had rice and broccoli. I drank a sprite.(I am glad I packed the beef jerky) Now we are in our room playing games on the bed. She is happiest right before bed time. She has laughed a lot this evening. We go to a local tea farm and museum tomorrow. Enjoy the pictures below. Until tomorrow, God bless! We love you all!

P.S. I wrote more about what happened yesterday. It is posted below all of this, so please read on.

4 comments:

  1. We are glad that things are going so well. It is good to hear that she is opening up to you guys. We are also glad that you guys are having such a great time. Can't wait to see some more pictures. We are praying for you each day that you guys continue to have a safe trip and that Maelin continues to open up to you guys. Can't wait to see her here. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, Kala and Maelin,
    I am glad to see that things are going well for you guys. The pictures you have posted of China are gorgeous!! Maelin seems to be adjusting well. Children truly can tell when they are loved. I am so glad she has found her way home.
    Lots of love and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Keelan has just informed me that she has a great idea. You posted that all but 3 of the children had been adopted and she says you could take 2 and I could take one then they all would have a new home. I assured her I was way to old and I thought you all just wanted one at a time for now. So let her know what you think of her great idea.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is such a doll! I look forward to reading what adventure you've had each day. Can't wait to meet her.We are praying for a safe trip home.
    Love & prayers,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete